14 May 2015

Watercolour pencils and Promarkers


Hi Everyone, I've been missing in action because I haven't felt like doing anything, as I said earlier this week. Then thought I would do something different than my 'puter. I got my Promarkers out - yep! I have some, bought on a visit to Spalding last year, used once! and my Reeves watercolour pencils that I have had for years and years, have tried them a couple of times, then put them away and forgot about them.

Tuesday I got them both out and tried with the beautiful freebie image from Eastwind. It's an easy image to play with, I have already used it as PS colouring here I hope you will indulge me this post as I would love to hear your comments on my efforts and which you like best and what I should keep trying with. Hubby likes the Promarker one and Son likes the Watercolour one. Can't give up on my PS colouring though LOL. I love the idea of watercolour as my Grandfather was a beautiful watercolourist.

The first I did was the Promarker, I have also shown which colours I have, no skin colours so used a few colours to get the skin looking something like a normal tone - laugh out loud! I spoiled the blank image because of copyright.



The one on the right is the watercolour.



I had a lovely comment on one of my cards from Jessa at Useless Trinkets and went over to thank her. This card was what met me, I think it is one of the most original cards I have seen in a long while. Look at the cat's guilty face LOL. Take a visit to her fun blog HERE 



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

F A B U L O U S. Truly brilliant. x

Viv said...

I am by no means an expert Faith lol.....but I prefer the watercolour one best. I find with Promarkers it's best to go over the darker lines you have made using a paler colour. I would go over the brown lines with the pink again to soften them. Well you did ask lol........you can have a laugh at my efforts now too as I still haven't got mine right either!! keep on with it though, it's just practise I think ;) Viv xx

Viv said...

Oops mean't to add I agree Jessa's card is great isn't it ;)

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Yep! I did ask. Thanks Viv will try it.

MaryH said...

I think so many of us are suffering from lack of MoJo lately. I know I surely can't get out of that do nothing rut! I think you did a swell job on both the looks, but I will say I have a definite preference for the watercolor (maybe because I can't do it well!) Thought you did a good job with the promarker facial coloring, and especially so, if you didn't have the flesh tones available. Good shading on the folds too. But for some reason I like the w/color one much better. Hope you will keep up with doing both of the media, because you have a good handle on it. Glad you tried it, you are already expert with the PS!!!! Happy wkend, and TFS - Hugs too.

Pamellia said...

I am no colouring expert, but I do love the look of the watercolouring one more...I think it seems more blended and has a natural flow to it. That card with the cat is too funny, the scratches on the wall are brilliant, like you said! Have a wonderful weekend my friend! hugs :)

cotnob said...

I think I have to agree with the others - I prefer the watercoloured one. In my experience you need a lot of alcohol markers to achieve any sort of decent blending but I am no expert.
Pauline
x

Sarn said...

Hi Faith . . . I'm going to say that I prefer the watercoloured image, simply because, for me, the colours are more blended. I'm no expert colourist with either medium . . . but I DO know that really smooth card is best for Promarkers to make blending easier. I don't know if that will help you?

Hugs, Sarn xxx

NanaConnie said...

I got hooked on ProMarkers the first time I used them and I found a place on line where I can get them on sale every two or three months. I keep increasing the colors I have which gives me more tones that are closer together. I also get the ultra-fine tips (which just click on and off over the original tip) so that I can make very fine lines. They usually come in packages of three tips and they can be cleaned in alcohol or in the clear blender fluid so that one tip can be used with many colors. I start with my lightest color and repeat layers of that same color to darken it without having too much contrast. I find I can control the shading and highlights that way. I go to a second color only when I want more contrast. Finally, Sarn is right about needing really smooth (I call it 'hard') card stock for any of the alcohol markers. The softer papers just cause the markers to 'bleed' and spread instead of staying where you want them to be. LOL Can you tell I've done a lot of school teaching in my life? Everything sounds like a classroom lecture.

Bonnie said...

I like the watercolor, but then I'm partial to watercolor! I'd say keep playing with both, then decide which you like the best!